Documents associated with this entity:

Bakery located in the 10th district of Vienna, producing bread and rolls for the whole of Vienna.

The bakery bore the honorific title "K. u. k. Hoflieferant" (Imperial and Royal Supplier to the Court). Established in 1891, by 1914 the company had 1,300 employees; by 1920 it had 2,000 employees, 100 branches, 250 teams of horses, and produced 150 tons of bread and bakery goods a day. The company was aryanized in 1938, resumed trading after World War II, and has continued into the 21st century.

Ankerbrot and Schenker

The company was originally formed by Heinrich Mendl and Fritz Mendl, brothers of Schenker's pupil and patron Sofie Deutsch. Schenker frequently found himself in the company of Fritz Mendl (who was first mentioned in Schenker's diary in December 1906 (OJ 1/5, p. 31)), either at Mrs. Deutsch's home or in the home of Mendl and his wife.

Contributor:

  • Marko Deisinger

Website: