Documents associated with this entity:

Co-founded in 1884 by Frans Coenen (1826‒1904) and Daniel de Lange (1841‒1918), the Conservatory was directed first by Coenen from 1884 to 1895 and then by Lange from 1895 to 1913. Julius Röntgen (1855‒1932) succeeded Lange, serving as director until 1924, and continuing as a piano teacher there until 1926. Its teachers included the violinist Carl Flesch (1903‒08) and the baritone Johannes Messchaert.

Amsterdam Conservatory and Schenker

Schenker's links to the Conservatory were through Julius Röntgen, who lived in Amsterdam from 1877 to 1925, and Johannes Messchaert (1857‒1922), with both of whom Schenker was on good terms from the 1890s, and with both of whom he corresponded (OJ 13/27 and 12/54). In 1908, Schenker hoped that Röntgen would replace the use of Hans von Bülow's edition of C. P. E. Bach keyboard works at the Conservatory with his own (WSLB 20).


  • Grove Music Online


  • Ian Bent

Download all selected files as or or (check files to select/deselect)
Where appropriate save: English and German versions German version only English version only