Documents associated with this entity:

Museum founded by Wilhelm Heyer (1849-1913) in 1906, rich in composers' autograph MSS. From 1909 to 1927, its curator was Georg Kinsky (1882-1951), who catalogued it (1910-16) and organized lectures and concerts. The Museum was disbanded in 1927.

In 1926 the Musikhistorisches Museum Wilhelm Heyer, Köln, was purchased by the state of Saxony with F. Hinrichsen and moved to the Karl-Marx-Universität, Leipzig. In 1927, Heyer collections other than instruments (music; books; autographs, etc.) were sold at auction. During World War II the University collection was transferred to the Grassi-Museum where about forty percent was destroyed. The Musikinstrumenten-Museum was established in 1954 at the the Karl-Marx-Universität, Leipzig.

Download all selected files as or or (check files to select/deselect)
Where appropriate save: English and German versions German version only English version only

Correspondence

  • OJ 10/3, [7] Handwritten letter from Otto Erich Deutsch Deutsch to Schenker, dated January 16, 1920

    Deutsch will write to the Beethoven House in Bonn to seek permission to reproduce the manuscript of the "Moonlight" Sonata. He suggests using the first edition as the source for the missing opening and closing bars, and asks Schenker to refrain from polemics in his commentary. Copies of the manuscripts of Beethoven's piano sonatas Opp. 28, 109, 110 and 111 should not be difficult to obtain, and he has made inquiries regarding the manuscripts of Beethoven's Piano Sonata Op. 106 and Mozart's A minor Rondo K. 511.

Diaries