Documents associated with this entity:

Large recital hall in the Fourth District of Vienna.

The Ehrbar Saal (or Saal Ehrbar) is a 400-seat recital hall within the Palais Ehrbar, located at Mühlgasse 28/30, in Vienna IV (Wieden). (The Mühlgasse runs parallel to the Rechte Wienzeile on its south side.)

The Ehrbar palace was built in 1876/77 in neo-renaissance style by Josef Weninger for the Viennese piano manufacturer Friedrich Ehrbar (1827‒1905). The large, double-height recital hall within it was designed by Julius Schrittwieser in 1877. It is in Italian renaissance style, with Corinthian pilasters and chandeliers, and possesses a fine acoustic.

The hall played a significant part in the musical life of Vienna at the end of the 19th and early 20th centuries, with performances by artists such as Joachim, Rubinstein, Brahms, Bruckner and Mahler, and it was the site of many first performances, including Mahler's Das klagende Lied and Schoenberg's Gurrelieder.

Source

  • Wikipedia ("Ehrbar Saal"; "Palais Ehrbar")

Contributor

  • Ian Bent

Download all selected files as or or (check files to select/deselect)
Where appropriate save: English and German versions German version only English version only

Correspondence

Diaries