Documents associated with this entity:

City now in western Ukraine, on the Poltva River.

From 1772 to 1918, Lemberg was the capital city of Galicia, a province of the Austro-Hungarian Empire lying to the north-east of the Kingdom of Hungary and bordering on Russia; it was governed from Vienna. After 1918, Lemberg was for a time an area of conflicting claims between Poland and the Ukraine, but became the third largest city in Poland. Absorbed into the Soviet Union after World War II, following the collapse of the Soviet Union it became part of the Ukraine.

Lemberg was a multi-ethnic, multi-lingual community, primarily of Poles, Ruthenians, and Jews (27.7% of the population in 1900), of whom the Jews were expelled during the Holocaust, and the Poles were relocated by the Soviet Union after 1945.

Lemberg and Schenker

Schenker was born in Wisniowczyk, a village some 75 km (c. 47 miles) south-east of Lemberg, but attended the German-language Gymnasium [grammar school] in Lemberg, where he also studied piano with Chopin's pupil Karl Mikuli.

Sources:
  • Wikipedia ("L'viv"; "Galicia")
  • Rozenblit, Marsha L., The Jews of Vienna, 1867–1914 (Albany, NY: SUNY Press, 1983)

Download all selected files as or or (check files to select/deselect)
Where appropriate save: English and German versions German version only English version only

Correspondence

Diaries