Documents associated with this entity:

Society founded in 1898 by Oskar Fleischer, ceased operation in 1914, reconstituted in 1927 as the Internationale Gesellschaft für Musikwissenschaft (International Musicological Society).

A Vienna chapter (Ortsgruppe) was established as part of the Austro-Hungarian Section of the IMG in 1899 by Guido Adler, the committee of which Adler headed until 1905, thereafter Erwin Luntz, then from 1910 Hugo Botstiber. The chapter organized regular lectures and musical evenings, most of which took place in the Musikhistorisches Institut of the University of Vienna. It also took a special interest in early music, drawing frequently from the volumes of the Denkmäler der Tonkunst in Österreich, of which Adler was the general editor. The chapter played a major part in organizing the 1909 Haydn Centenary Celebrations, which were tied to the Third Congress of the IMG, May 25-29, 1909. By 1913/14, the chapter numbered 120 members.

Sources:

  • NGDM "International Musicological Society"
  • oeML Online

Download all selected files as or or (check files to select/deselect)
Where appropriate save: English and German versions German version only English version only

Correspondence

Diaries